Monday, November 7, 2011

The 80/20 Rule



I believe success could have come much sooner in my life had I known then what I know now, I am much older and wiser now, But sometimes I wish that I had known some of things I have learned over the last few years a bit earlier. That perhaps there had been a self-improvement class in school. And in some ways there probably was.

But I highly doubt it though, because there is no way that a teacher could have been sharing life transforming information and I didn't here it are don't remember right, right? Well if there was I sure didn't get that class so I had to be stuck in the struggle lane of the crowded high way of life.

you see life is often like a math problem because we don't know the correct formula we often struggle to find ways to make our life a little simpler, you were probably just like me, you find your self busy doing everything but getting nothing done well at lease the important things, now that I know this is the 80/20 rule I can easily evaluate the situation and focus my efforts a be more efficient, but before that it was like pushing water up an hill with a straw. 

So what is that 80/20 rule? This is one of the best ways to make better use of your time. The 80/20 rule also known as The Pareto Principle basically says that 80 percent of the value you will receive will come from 20 percent of your activities.



So in essence a greater portion of your accomplishment will come from a lesser portion  of your endeavors, can you imagine the amount of time I wasted all these years not knowing this I could have spare my self  at lease five years of hardship if some one had thought me the 80/20 rule.

To be effective you probably need some kind of time management-system. It might be something really simple, like using the 80/20-rule at the beginning of each day. The 80/20 rule says that you´ll get 80 percent of your results from only 20 percent of your tasks and activities. So you need to focus most of your energy on those few important tasks to be effective.

When you have prioritized using this rule just write down the top 3 most important things you need to do that day. Then, from the top, start doing them. Even if you just get one of the things done, you have still done the most important thing you could do today. You may perhaps prefer some other system, such as GTD. But however you organize your work it's still of highest priority to find the most important tasks so you don't spend days, weeks or months doing busywork that isn't that essential anyway. Just getting things done faster isn't that useful if the things you get done are unimportant to you.

So a lot of what you do is probably not as useful or even necessary to do as you may think. You can just drop or vastly decrease the time you spend on a whole bunch of things and if you do that you will have more time and energy to spend on those things that really brings you value, happiness and fulfillment. 

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...